So, we all use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram probably on a daily basis but do you know how they all started? We’d like to give you some cool facts about the history behind these popular social networks.
- Was founded on 4th February 2004
- Founders are: Mark Zuckerberg, Dustin Moskovitz, Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Chris Hughes
- Mark Zuckerberg is the CEO of Facebook
- 44 billion monthly active users (as of May 2015)
- 936 million daily active users
According to the New Yorker, Mark Zuckerberg is red-green colour blind which means that the one colour he sees best is blue. This is apparently the reason behind the Facebook logo being blue as he told the New Yorker that ‘"Blue is the richest colour for me. I can see all of blue".
- Was founded on 21st March 2006
- Founders are: Evan Williams, Noah Glass, Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone
- Jack Dorsey is the CEO of Twitter
- Over 270 million monthly active users
- The average Twitter user follows five or more businesses
- In 2004, the word ‘Hashtag’ was added to the Oxford Dictionary
It is said that the little bird logo for Twitter is called Larry. It’s apparently named after former NBA player, Larry Bird, who played for Twitter co-founder Biz Stone's home-state team, the Boston Celtics.
- Created by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger
- Launched in October 2010 as a free mobile app
- 300 million monthly active users
- Instagram has grown over 50% in a year and is now bigger than Twitter
- Brand engagement rates are at their highest at 4.21% on Instagram
- Adding a location to your upload results in 79% higher engagement
After going for 2 years, Instagram was bought in 2012 by Facebook for $1 billion. When it was bought by Facebook, Instagram only had 13 employees.